Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 2004 09:41:28 +0200
From:      Cyril Guibourg <plonk-o-matic@teaser.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: permissions

"Amiel Ong" <amiel.ong@votek.com.ph> writes:

> How can I make a directory permission so that
> the user can write but cannot delete a file inside the directory?

If your user shall *write* and *not* *create*, you can remove all his write
permissions to that directory. This implies the file already exists.

If he must be able to create a file this is more complicated, you will
have to keep his write permissions at directory level, use the sticky
bit and find a way to quickly change the file ownership once it is created.

see chmod (2)