Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 13:39:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Patrik Astrom <patrik@astrom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unable to install on Compaq ProLiant 1850 w. Array 221 card.

Hi!

Im trying to install FreeBSD 4.0-Release (From Walnutcreek cdrom) on a
Compaq ProLiant 1850 with a Compaq SmartArray 221 RAID controller.

My problem is that when FreeBSD boots from the cd and I have done the
Visual config and begin to boot the system the system crashes and says:

sym0: <875> at devuce 6.0 on pcib0
sym0: failed to allocate MMIO resources

Fatal trap 12: Page fault while in kernel mode.
fault virtual adress	= 0x0
fault code		= supervisor read, page not present.
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc0229eed
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc05fbce8
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc05fbcf8
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags	= interrupt enables, resume, IOPL = 0
current proccess	= 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask		= net tty bio cam
trap numer		= 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 0s

This is on a Compaq ProLiant 1850R with 2x500 Mhz PII with 512 MB of ram,
the Array is configured using the SmartStart CD and is configured with
3x9,1 Gb Ultra2 disk. Using 2 for a mirror and the last as "Hot standby".

I have done this before using FBSD 3.4 but needed to make a custom
bootdisk, under FBSD 4.0 it seems like "ida" array with disks are found
without this.

I have also tried to make a custom install disk without the sym0 driver
and when I did that I was able to install FBSD 4.0 without problems, but
when Im trying to boot the new system the bootloader says:

Unable to load kernel:
Aborted!
/
<Standard bootloader messages>
can't load 'kernel'

Do I need to do something special to be able to boot from the Array ?, on
3.4 you needed to fool the bootloader to think that the IDA array was a
IDE drive, must I do this on 4.0 too ?, and if so how do I do this ?.

I was unable to find any info off this in /sys/i386/conf/LINT.

Regards Patrik Astrom, Stockholm