Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 16:52:14 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        Erin <Kahn@deadbbs.com>
Cc:        'Brian Reichert' <reichert@numachi.com>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secondary BIND server.

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 12:45:44PM -0700, Erin wrote:
> > - your primary server's zone file lists both your name
> > servers in the SOA
> > - your primary server's been told it's master for that zone
> > - your slave server's been told it's a slave for that zone (and
> >   who the master is)
> >
> > Then when you start the secondary server up, it will automatically
> > get the zone file from the primary.
> >
> > If you modify the zone, the primary will notify the secondary of
> > the change, and the secondary will get a new copy of the zone file.
> >
> > This does mean that you inform have to infrom both servers of the
> > domain in question.  If you have a fluid set of domains, your new
> > question becomes 'how can I propegate changes to my named.conf
> > file?'.
>
> I knew what I wanted to say in my head, it just never makes it to the email
> that way.  :-)
>
> ok, If I add the domain into the named.conf and set it up on the primary,
> what I would like to do is have it automatically set its self up on the
> secondary in the named.conf and then get a cop of the zone file.
>
> Does this make sense?

Yep. :)

There are a million-and-one (well, a dozen or so) tools on
http://www.freshmeat.net.  Search for 'BIND'.  See, this looks
cute; I've been being to put something into place like this myself:

  AutoDNS accepts GPG signed emails instructing it to setup secondary
  DNS for domains and adds appropriate entries to the BIND
  configuration file in order to make this happen.

  Homepage: http://www.earth.li/projectpurple/progs/autodns.html
  (989 hits)

or, you could use ssh like everyone says.  Or rsync.  Or, run BIND
in a chroot environment, and FTP stuff around.  Did I mention tftp?
Pay a high school kid to type stuff in; they need work.

Say, I need more coffee...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		reichert@numachi.com
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842