Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 22:22:33 +0000 (MEZ)
From:      Rainer M Duffner <Rainer.Duffner@surf24.de>
To:        Vladislav <reason@shadow.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] packaging system

On Tue 07 Aug, Vladislav wrote:
> Hi,
> I have read that FreeBSD by March of '99 will
> have a demo of a new packaging system that
> should be great

Cool to read this.
Thanks for forwarding this to us.

[snip jkh's info]

> The reason I am asking this is because I have tried to install
> the some of the BSD ports (after reading the handbook, of course)
> and noticed that I can either retreive the source from internet
> (using make install in  the specific packages tree) or

Which is "preferred" unless the port requires Motif (like nedit) which
almost nobody has a licence for.

> use pkg_add on the binary packages from CD 3 (rel 3-3). But I think
> those tools do not check what other dependencies (packages) are missing and
> then download what is needed precompiled from internet; or,
> if you unstall something it would install the dependencies.

Hm. I'm not sure.
I find pkg_add will only look on the current medium for dependencies.
When you do a pkg_add
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages/whatever.tgz
it will fetch dependencies from the internet.
(Recently happened to do that, so I definitely know that it works at
least this way)

> (I was using apt-get on Debian Linux).
> So I am thinking that may be FreeBSD has other packaging

None that I know of.

> system that I am not using and may be I just need to enable it somehow?

No, but that fact that you found this mail from Jordan speaks for
itself.
Hands up who searches all the BSDs' mailings lists before posting ? ;-)

> (I did search freeBSD web site regarding this buy did not find
> any specific links)

Hm. I'd say that we need to wait 'till march.

cheers,
Rainer
|Rainer Duffner, E-Mail: duffner@fh-konstanz.de  |
|                &   Rainer.Duffner@surf24.de    |
|Fachhochschule Konstanz, Germany                |
|"What's a Network ?"  - Bill Gates, early 1980s |
|   WWW:http://www-stud.fh-konstanz.de/~duffner  |