Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:49:44 -0800
From:      shrivatsan <shrivatsan@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question regarding memory disks

Hi,

I have configured a malloc-backed memory disk, and I mount the device on to
the file system. I write some data onto the file system. I see that the free
memory indicated by kmem_map_free goes down, and this is proportional to the
size of the data written. However, even after removing all the
data, kmem_map_free doesn't seem to go up. Its only after detaching the
memory disk does the free memory go up. May I know the reason for this
behavior?

Thanks,
-shrivatsan