Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 19:05:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        "Humprey C. Sy" <humprey@linux1.dlsu.edu.ph>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tun0 message

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> > Routed is telling you something.  That something should be "don't run me
> > unless you have to."  :-)  It's a normal message, but unless you have to,
> > don't run routed; disable it in /etc/sysconfig.
>
> And why not run routed?  Because it is not in my interest?  Or whose?
> This advice is often given and never explained.  I find that not
> running routed causes long delays in booting and also in running
> some programs.

Then you need to remove references to the ${hostname} in /etc/sysconfig
and replace them with your IP.

And make sure your routing table setup in sysconfig is right too.

Problem with routed is that if your router goes bonkers then you can kiss
your default route goodbye.  I got bit by it once and stopped using it
right then and there.