Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2001 13:32:36 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Diego Adolf" <diegoadolf@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcmcia config

> From: "Diego Adolf" <diegoadolf@yahoo.com>
> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 21:08:06 +0100
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> hello everyone,
> i'm really new to freebsd. i'm trying to get my pcmcia modem working on =
> freebsd but it doesn't work. under linux it works fine. i've read the =
> pcmcia instuctions on the freebsd website and searched the internet for =
> some information but there is no extended information. the problem is =
> that when i insert the card there is no beep even though i've it's set =
> to 2.
> the card isn't detected and i can't find the device files pccard1, pcic0 =
> and pcic1 (pccard0 does exist) in the /dev directory.
> if tryed 2 pccards, one modem and the other ethernet, which worked under =
> linux.
>
> i would appreciate it if someone can help me out here

Diego,

As always, the people on this list will like you a lot better if you
post ASCII only. HTML tends to annoy many.

As to your problem, you need to provide quite a bit more information:
1. "uname -a" output (FreeBSD version information) The code for PCMCIA
   cards has changed radically over the past few months.

2. Kernel config file

3. /etc/rc.conf file

4. /etc/pccard.conf file (if any)

5. Output of "dmesg" showing the boot and device probes.

4. Output of "pccardc dumpcis SLOT" where SLOT is 0 or 1 depending on
   the slot into which the card is inserted. (In you case I don't
   expect anything.)

5. Specific information on what card you are using. (Note: FreeBSD
   does not yet support CardBus (32-bit) cards. If the card is not
   marked as 16 or 32 bit, look at the metal strip on the connector.
   If it's smooth, it's probably 16 bit. If it has evenly spaced
   bumps, it's probably CardBus. CardBus support is coming in V5 and
   maybe sooner, but it's not there at this time.

You should not have pcic devices but you should have card devices
(/dev/card0, /dev/card1, etc.).

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)