Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 20:34:39 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Dan Polivy <danp@carebase3.jri.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: whoa...somethings wrong..

> Hmm, maybe it is just me, but does this df output look odd to you?
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/sd0a      352926   346960   -22270   107%    /
> /dev/sd0s1f   1206856   604326   505980    54%    /usr
> /dev/sd0s1e    302222    55362   222682    20%    /var
> procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
>
> Umm, if the space free is negative, where is all of the data going?  is
> it stored in memory or swap space until room is freed for it to go where
> it is supposed to?  Hmmm...

Classic UNIX, actually.  Filesystems have a hidden 10% float (well, I
believe this is adjustable but 10% is the general default), much as a
gas gauge will read empty when you've still got a gallon or two
left. :-)

Historically this was because a filesystem that was truly 100% full
would perform much more poorly than one below the limit, and only
root is capable of eating the "float", resulting in what looks
like a negative amount of space free.  When you reach 110%, you'll
REALLY be full. :-)

					Jordan