Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:27:50 +1030
From:      Matthew Thyer <Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: autofs for FreeBSD ?]

Doug Barton wrote:

> Matthew Thyer wrote:
> > Reasons (in no particular order):
> >
> > - it looks yucky
>
>         What specifically is "yucky" about it?

The fact that filesystems are mounted elsewhere and then soft links are
created for the mount points I am really after  (Users really cant
understand this).

> > - make world doesn't work when /usr/src and /usr/obj are actually
> >     links to /a/blah/blah
>
>         How exactly do you have this set up? I do this all the time.

Make world (with FreeBSD-CURRENT) fails for me when /usr/src and /usr/obj
are soft links to /a/blah....   If I do 'normal' NFS mounts directly onto
/usr/src and /usr/obj it works fine.

It appears that make world expects to able to use relative paths to cross
from /usr/src into /usr/obj.

> > - it makes FreeBSD look quite primitive in comparison to Solaris
> >     (the competitor in my workplace).
>
>         Primitive in what way? amd (which is not strictly a freebsd product btw)
> does more things than autofs is capable of.

Just the whole issue of the filesystem being mounted somewhere other
than where you're actually after.

--
 Matthew Thyer                                 Phone:  +61 8 8259 7249
 Corporate Information Systems                 Fax:    +61 8 8259 5537