Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:01:05 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_truncate: readonly filesystem

--xEruU51OOzV9VdJQ

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 07:10:44PM -0400, Mikhail T. wrote:
> Hello!
>=20
> I tried, accidentally, to save a video-file (via firewire) to a
> read-only location.
>=20
> The entire system paniced with the message in subject. Why did it
> happen?
Because the kernel has a bug ? As is, the report is useless. Please, do
not hesitate to provide at least the backtrace.

The ufs_setattr() seems to properly check for ro mounts, as well as the
direct callers of the UFS_TRUNCATE() function.

Besides the possible logic error, the other possibility is the concurrent
remount. Could it be that you actually remounted the fs readonly during
the write ?

--xEruU51OOzV9VdJQ

--xEruU51OOzV9VdJQ--