Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 04:16:24 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Andy Isaacson <adi@hexapodia.org>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5: Second CPU Not Working on Dell PowerEdge 1650

Apparently, On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 10:05:27AM -0500,
	John Baldwin said words to the effect of;

> On 22-Mar-2002 Andy Isaacson wrote:
> >>
> >> Since this has come up a few times already, maybe we should change the
> >> message to read:
> >>
> >> SMP: Another CPU (AP CPU #1) Launched!
> >
> > How about
> > SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched, 2 running
> >
> > Or just stick a "%d CPUs running" at the end of the launch loop.
>
> In current you get a 'FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor system: X cpus' message
> during startup that is identical on all platforms.

How about we remove both of these messages altogether and print identify
lines for all cpus in the system.  They can even look something like
newbus device probes.

cpu0: Sun Microsystems UltraSparc-II Processor (450.07 MHZ CPU)
cpu1: Sun Microsystems UltraSparc-II Processor (450.07 MHZ CPU)
cpu2: Sun Microsystems UltraSparc-II Processor (450.07 MHZ CPU)
cpu3: Sun Microsystems UltraSparc-II Processor (450.07 MHZ CPU)
nexus0: <OpenFirmware Nexus device>

The SMP: AP CPU #%d Launched! message is dangerous because it is printed
before the non-boot cpus can safely acquire Giant; most architectures do
it wrong.

Jake