Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2001 08:33:49 -0700
From:      Jim Binkley <jrb@cs.pdx.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wi driver and multicast receive problems

Long ago, when I made the mistake of porting the then current
linux driver wvlan_cs to BSD (and discovered that Bill P. had
already done the job in a highly different fashion),  I think
I stumbled over something that went along these lines ...

The lucent card starts in all multicast mode, and immediately
loses that ability when you program ANY multicast address.

This could be totally wrong at this point or a misremembered
dream.

If that is indeed the case, the traditional assumption would be
that the driver has a card that is not capable of all multicast
prom. mode ... so the code should be something along the lines of:

		if all multicast is what you want
			turn on promiscuous mode with a special flag

		and then throw away any unicast pkts that are not
			to you

This is what ancient pre "all multicast" prom. mode ethernet drivers
used to do.  See any driver based on the Intel 82586.

				Jim Binkley
				jrb@cs.pdx.edu