Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 16:32:38 -0800
From:      Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: where is KDE 2.0.1 ?!?

lewst (lewst@yahoo.com) wrote:
> Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu> wrote:
>
> > Yes, and I'd like to further echo these sentiments by pointing out that
> > it took over 1,000 cpu hours and 150-200+ hours of my personal time to
> > maintain these ports over a 6-month period.  Please don't scream at
> > Kevin for being about a week behind when he is not paid to do this
> > job... unless you would like to spend about 6-12 hours or so downloading
> > / compiling / testing / fixing PLISTs / testing again, etc yourself.
>
> To Will and the other flamers who sent me all the nastygrams:
>
> This kind of attitude is fine when you are supporting a hobby or pet
> project, but not a supposedly serious and competitive OS like FreeBSD.
> Critical pieces of the OS like KDE should be taken more seriously than
> the other ports.  If not, then FreeBSD will continue to linger behind
> in Linus' shadow.  RPMS for KDE 2.0.1 were available within hours of
> the release.
>
> This issue is bigger than one port, or even KDE, so don't get sidetracked.
> It's the attitude man.  You're certainly not doing FreeBSD any favors with it.

As someone who loves and enjoys using FreeBSD for everything (YES
EVERYTHING) I just have one thing to say. Please Stop this kinda BS. I
did a quick search and saw that you have yet to give anything back to
the FreeBSD community via the ports or bug reports. FreeBSD is sweet
becuase the people that take care of it and want to improve have a
passion for it. Like some else said in this thread.. "NO ONE is getting
PAID to do this" It is volunteer work. So until you can take some time
and try to make a difference with a little contribution I highly suggest
that you cease the attitude.

Just my 2 cents