Date:      Sun, 03 Jan 1999 16:17:57 -0500
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Controlling which wtmp records are written?

Somebody asked me if there was a way to disable writing to wtmp for certain
logins.

The "problem" is that a monitoring process logs in to a FreeBSD box every 5
minutes or so, which means that Every Day about 500 wtmp entries are
created just for this monitoring process.  They'd like to stop logging wtmp
records for this login user (only), just because of the amount of space it
takes up.

I didn't see a way to do this from login.conf, and I read the man pages for
login and expected to find the wtmp logging in /usr/bin/login, but it's not
(obviously) being done from there.

Ideas?