Date:      Thu,  2 Sep 2004 10:39:37 +0100 (BST)
From:      Joe Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/71280: aue0 device (linksys usb100tx) doesn't work in 100basetx, and doesn't reliably select media

>Number:         71280
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       aue0 device (linksys usb100tx) doesn't work in 100basetx, and doesn't reliably select media
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Environment:
	System: FreeBSD genius.tao.org.uk 6.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT #156: Sun Aug 22 22:01:37 BST 2004 joe@genius.tao.org.uk:/stable/usr/obj/current/usr/src/sys/GENIUS i386

	The aue0 device I have, a linksys usb100tx, doesn't work
	in 100basetx mode.  If it is plugged into a 100base network
	the device freezes and any network activity, or just issueing
	an ifconfig command ends up with:

	aue0: MII read timed out
	aue0: MII read timed out
	aue0: MII read timed out
	aue0: MII read timed out
	aue0: MII read timed out
	aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
	aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
	aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
	aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
	aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
	aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
	aue0: MII read timed out
	aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
	aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
	aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
	aue0: usb error on rx: IOERROR
	aue0: MII read timed out

	Additionally issuing an 'ifconfig aue0 media 10baset/utp'
	isn't always reliable.  The device doesn't appear to care
	too much about the media that you tell it about, once it
	has made it's mind up what kind of network it is plugged
	into.

>How-To-Repeat:
	Boot up a machine with this device plugged in and plug it
	into a switched 100tx network.

>Fix:

	The only work around at the moment is to unplug the ethernet,
	boot the machine and then issue an 'ifconfig aue0 media
	10baset/utp' by hand before plugging the cable in.  The device
	has an orange light for a 10base network and a gree light
	for a 100base network.  If having issued the ifconfig command
	you get a green light then the machine need to be rebooted and
	everything done again.  If you get an orange light then the
	device correctly thinks that it is in 10base mode and you can
	issue a dhclient command or set the ip address.