Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 23:44:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Did someone break TCP?

I've got an IRC server with a few days of uptime now after upgrading to
both FBSD 4.6 and ircd-hybrid 6.3 out of the ports tree.  Tonight I found
that I couldn't login, TCP wasn't completing the 3-way handshake (no RST,
no SYN|ACK).  Stopping the service and restarting it fixed the problem.
At this point it looks like TCP freaked out.

I tried multiple different ways to login to the ircd, both remotely, from
the local box and from behind the machine that it acts as a firewall for.
All the users reported a 3+ hour outage prior to me finding the problem.
There was nothing that I was doing to the box at the time.  This has been
previously stable hardware.

Unfortunately, I didn't collect much better information than that...  I'll
try to do a better job if the reoccurs after I'm back from vacation...