Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:51:28 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Rob Hunter <hunterr@iafrica.com>
To:        "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@conterra.com>
Cc:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (2) How to save "kernel -c" userconfig changes in 3.1-R? (missing dset!)

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Donald J . Maddox wrote:

> Yes.
>
> You don't need USERCONFIG_BOOT anymore, in fact I don't think it
> even exists in 3.1+.
It does exist.

For some reason my machine doesn't seem to be reading the /boot/boot.conf
and /boot/kernel.com properly. Where would I go looking for tips on
whether this file loaded properly and what errors it encountered if it
didn't? I don't see anything in dmesg or when the machine is booting.

> On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 10:47:39AM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Donald J . Maddox wrote:
> > >
> > > Add a line to your /boot/boot.conf like this:
> > >
> > > load -t userconfig_script /boot/kernel.conf
> > >
> > > Then create a /boot/kernel.conf that contains the configuration
> > > commands you need.
> > >

> > Is the format of /boot/kernel.conf the same as /kernel.config in
> > 2.2.8?
> >
> > I currently use 2.2.8 and have the config commands necessary to setup
> > my modem and soundcard in /kernel.config and ``options
> > USERCONFIG_BOOT'' in my kernel so that it's not necessary to re-enter
> > all the settings with ``boot -c'' if I make a new kernel.
> >
> > When I u/g to 3.1 (when the CDs arrive) can I just copy /kernel.config
> > to /boot/kernel.conf, edit the /boot/boot/conf as you describe and it
> > will work as it does now?

--Rob