Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:05:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Craig Burgess <craig-burgess@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modula 3 "make install"

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Craig Burgess wrote:

> Um.  The man page for 'make' is written in an obscure dialect of
> Martian, however I uncommented the /usr/ports/net/cvsup/Makefile as --
> '# To build the client without GUI support:
> MAKE_ENV=       M3FLAGS=-DNOGUI'

Make is one of the most central tools to software.  The man page for
make is not that bad, but maybe it isn't a good intro to someone
starting from absolute zero.  There's a really good O'Reilly book on
make, I recommend you buy and study it.

Anyhow, you can't just do the make install.  Do a make clean, then a
make, all with that MAKE_ENV line in there (by the way, that's _not_ the
line, you left a "+" out).  Then the make install would work.

Actually, the better fix is what I said.  NO port installs libX11.a
except the XFree86 port, and it installs a whole lot more.  You should
either nuke your entire /usr/X11R6 tree, or reinstall your X stuff,
because having half a tree is a disaster.  If you don't do this, expect
stuff to fail, and expect no one to be willing to fix things for you.

> and tried 'make install' in /usr/ports/net/cvsup once again -- with the
> same results -- failed in the same place -- and that presents a
> conundrum...
>
> I didn't install XFree because the machine is a "server" (complete with
> a 13" mono monitor).  Something else must have installed some X11R6
> files as dependancies?

There is no port that installs libX11.a, that's absolutely untrue.  If
it were true, everyone's X11 would fail.  The ONLY way to get the
libX11.a is either via the XFree86 distribution, or some commercial X,
like maybe Xig's.

  One of the reasons I installed FreeBSD was
> because I could omit the superfluous XFree installation.  (The other
> reason:  it would install over the Internet.)  On my desktop machine
> I've installed FreeBSD 2.2.7 **with** X11R6 (and support for Linux
> binaries, and KDE...)  But I've got a 17" monitor there -- and a decent
> display adapter.
>
> If I must install X11R6 so that Modula-3/cvsup can be installed, I
> will;  it just seems silly because I can't realistically use it and have
> no reason to try?
>
> cheerfully,
>
> craig burgess

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).