Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:54:14 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony GDM-1962B in text mode?

mikk0022@maroon.tc.umn.edu wrote:

> Is this a 19" trinitron monitor with 3 BNC connectors on the back,
> and sync-on-green?  If so, then I might be sitting in front of
> an HP-packaged one right now.

No actually it is a Sun-packaged 19" monitor with a 13W3 connector,
but it is sync-on-green.  This is about the only info I have found
out about it.

http://www.nashville.net/~griffin/monitors/Sun08.html

> Upshot is, ther is no way that I know of to get it working _with
> a standard video card_ in text mode.  There is a company that
> sells special video cards which will drive fixed-frequence graphics
> displays in VGA text mode, but I was under the impression that
> they are expensive and not supported in XFree86, but that
> may have changed.

I've seen these cards but they kind of defeat the purpose of
buying an inexpensive monitor when you have to turn right
around and buy an expensive video card.

> Other than that, I'd be glad to send you my modeline -- if we
> have the same monitor, that is....

Please do.

> BTW: If your monitor is what I think it is, what sort of hardware
> are you using to connect a VGA card to it?

If you mean the cable, it is a D15 male to 13W3 female.
For further details you can look at

http://www.ultraspec.com/vidindx.htm

BTW, I meant to say this was a GDM-1962B monitor and not
GDM-1692B as the subject used to say. :)

Steve