Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:18:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended software support <software@kew.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: after the release ...

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Ted Spradley wrote:

> > Part of the point is so people wouldn't HAVE to have the source to do that
> > patch.  If they have the source, and feel comfortable about doing the make
> > world, then they're doing it anyway.
>
> I agree the sources are big and take a lot of file space, but I'm
> looking at an ad for a 5.2G byte disk drive for $199.  Not free, but
> used 1G drives might be.
>
> I have trouble understanding the comfort part here.  How does one feel
> more comfortable applying a big binary patch?  The point of free (as in
> freedom) software is that you get the sources.  With a binary patch you
> get the assurances of a faceless corporation that you will be allowed to
> spend hours listening to music on the telephone if you have difficulty
> with the binary patch.  Is that more comfortable than learning to type
> "make world"?
Stop it!!!
You're agreeing with my sentiments too much!!
The point is, people don't WANT to learn, even if it's really pretty
simple.  They have this idea that 'UNIX is hard', and they've overcome it
enough to be running FreeBSD, and now you want them to do something with
'compiling'???   PANIC!!!
People are comforted by the fact that they believe that someone else knows
what they're doing, and will do the hard stuff for them.  How do you think
Microsoft made all their money?  You just mention 'source code', and most
people hear 'bleh bleh devil spawn technobabble', and it's suddenly 'too
much work'.

Heck, if even *I* am admitting that this should be more accessible to the
average person (and that's a big admission, if you know me), then you know
it must be something big.

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |