Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 2014 12:41:19 -0700
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org>
To:        sbruno@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: SMBus controller

On Jun 14, 2014, at 12:08, Sean Bruno <sbruno@ignoranthack.me> wrote:

> I note that my TLenovo 61 has one of these:
>=20
> ichsmb0@pci0:0:31:3:	class=3D0x0c0500 card=3D0x20a917aa =
chip=3D0x283e8086
> rev=3D0x03 hdr=3D0x00
>    vendor     =3D 'Intel Corporation'
>    device     =3D '82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller'
>    class      =3D serial bus
>    subclass   =3D SMBus
>=20
>=20
> I'm pretty ignorant here, and I had to manually load ichsmb(4) to get =
it
> detected.  How can I see what's on here and what its purpose for
> existence might be.

It's a System Management Bus.  What you can do with it depends on what's =
connected to the bus and depends on what the manufacturer implemented.  =
It's probably connected (indirectly) to the battery, to the voltage =
sensors, to the fans, etc.

smbmsg(8) is used to communicate with the other devices on the bus, but =
I'm not sure if scanning devices will work.

--
Rui Paulo