Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 03:39:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Current is Really Broken(tm)

(if you are involved with devfs, libdisk or CAM it's important that you
read this imo)

several major problems i've been smacked with the last couple of days:

i'm using CAM, softupdates, devfs, ipfw, posix_sched and mfs, this is a
-current system of about mid sept 22nd (yesterday)

before you click your commiter teeth and say "don't run -current" let me
say, i enjoy it, and try to give feedback on bad things like what i'm
posting now.  with the release date so close i hope someone has time to
look at these issues:

1a)
specifing the wrong "da" entry to mount and it will hang, you can ^C it
though, then i tried to use disklabel on it, that hung and ^C didn't help.
after that operations on the device reported "device busy" then i isuued a
reboot, this caused a panic, which led to the next $@#$!@#$%!@ bug.
1b)
after setting my dump device to /dev/wd0s1b after a crash freebsd happily
wrote over a real partition with the system dump.  this has happened
twice, first my /usr on one box, then /var on another.

2a)
the cam scsi devices (da) don't seem to appear (in devfs) until you mount
them without devfs mounted, then unmount, then mount devfs, then remount,
which leads us to our next bug
2b)
after doing that, a ls in /dev (with it being devfs) causes a panic.

3)
many applications still don't properly support DEVFS, sysinstall "can't
find any devices" and disklabel returns an undefined error or hangs when
accessing a partition

do i have bad hardware? no i think not as my pre-CAM/+SLICE kernel happily
chugged away at several buildworlds before rebooting into my worst
nightmare.

i noticed the "crash dumps were broken, but fixed now messages" let me
assure you they are not.

with -current falling over on a ls, i hope someone has the time to contact
me before a release.

my box at home is staying in this state for a couple of days if anyone
wants me to test/do anything.

i'll cvsup in a week or so assuming that:
a) someone fixed some/most of this
b) noone gave a hoot

Alfred Perlstein - Programmer, HotJobs Inc. - www.hotjobs.com
-- There are operating systems, and then there's FreeBSD.
-- http://www.freebsd.org/                        3.0-current