Date:      Sat, 30 Aug 1997 20:11:32 -1000
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is this (SCSI) tape drive compatible with FreeBSD?

} >  >A 250meg capacity is awfully small today, and the tapes are too expensive.
} > >They're also excruciatingly slow.
} >
} > This isn't even 250Meg. It's QIC-120 (120Meg) or QIC-150.
} >
}
} The Viper 150 will happily read and write the 250 and 525MB
} extended-length tapes.
}
} (Yes I have one, yes, I have used these tapes).
}
} Whilst the criticism that these drives are "slow" and the tapes
} "expensive" is not entirely without basis, it's worth bearing in mind
} that these drives are *robust*, and properly stored the media are very
} stable.

I forgot to mention that they're fairly noisy too.

} You won't find this in any current drive or media except (perhaps) a
} DLT.
}

Considering the amount of data trasferred, the numbers show and
certainly my experiences do; that the Exabyte drives are more robust
than QIC.

I suppose you could say that QIC was more robust back when they were
more widely used and less data was being archived.  In today's world
they're not all that robust when compared to the alternatives.

Richard