Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2017 19:31:06 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        John Hein <jh-fbml@snkmail.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Crypto overhaul

On 10/27/2017 09:46, John Hein wrote:

> What's the overhaul goal here?  There's basic crypto libraries with
> symmetric & assymmetric crypto & hashing (e.g., NaCL, libsodium,
> openssl's libcrypto).  There's libraries that add support for SSL/TLS
> & X.509 certificates and such.  There's stuff to support using
> crypto hardware (accelerators, secure crypto token storage devices).
>
> And is the thought to [eventually] replace openssl in base with
> something lighter perhaps?
>
> I assume we're looking for bsd, isc, mit, etc., style licenses only.

Sorry for being slow to reply.

There's a couple of goals that seem to be in common here (and which I've
seen reflected in the comments to my original posting.

* Dissatisfaction with the OpenSSL codebase and its history of
vulnerabilities.

* Desire to consolidate the crypto implementations, specifically, for a
crypto library that can serve userland, kernel, and bootloaders.

* In my case, the trust framework stuff I wrote about requires
public-key crypto in the kernel and loader, which isn't something the
kernel crypto framework can do.

* It's also harder to add new ciphers when there's multiple crypto
codebases.