Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:30:12 -0500
From:      Shelby Cain <scain@exgenesis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Invoking ldconfig without arguments wipes all hints and makes me very sad

--=-lz3eYEOa4ToDpJZHsEXH

Greetings list.  I'm a new user to FreeBSD and I just managed to
introduce myself to ldconfig's default behavior.  I'm currently locked
out of my remote server since bash isn't statically compiled and will
have to get physical access to correct my blunder.  :(

As a new user to FreeBSD, ldconfig's default behavior makes about as
much sense to me as rm adding "-fr ~" or kill adding "-9 1" in the
absence of arguments.  I hate to sound ignorant but I have to ask, is
there any particular reason FreeBSD's ldconfig defaults to this
seemingly unintuitive and non-newbie-safe behavior?

Would a patch that changes the behavior of ldconfig to assume -r in the
absence of command line arguments and adds a new parameter like
-e[rase]|-d[estroy]|-w[ipe]|-z[ap]|-l[olnewbie] to enable the original
behavior be likely to gain any acceptance?

Regards,

Shelby Cain

--=-lz3eYEOa4ToDpJZHsEXH

--=-lz3eYEOa4ToDpJZHsEXH--