Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:45:38 -0500
From:      Chris Manjoine <chris-manjoine@uiowa.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Instalation Problems

Ok I've read the Faq about panic: cannot mount root. But I still have questions:

To make a IDE drive bootable does it have to be on the master or can it be slave?
I have one disk on the primary that has a old bsd and our backup and another disk that has a cd rom as the master and the IDE drive as slave. I install a
bootable 3.2 freebsd to the slave and it installs fine. I reboot the system and it gives me th error 6 message. In following this faq

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/install.html#AEN683

I enter this at a boot prompt 1:wd(2,a)kernel
is this right

related txt files

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.2-RELEASE/TROUBLE.TXT