Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:56:11 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Adam Weinberger <monkey@crackula.com>, Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail library question/problem

On 12 Jun 2002, at 15:20, Dan Nelson boldly uttered:

> In the last episode (Jun 12), Philip J. Koenig said:
> > On 12 Jun 2002, at 10:38, Adam Weinberger boldly uttered:
> > > sure it does. i use it.
> > >
> > > $ echo "|/usr/local/bin/spamassassin" > ~/.forward
> > >
> > > -Adam
> >
> > But you're not using spamd for sitewide use, which is what I'm trying
> > to do. This is why spamass-milter is necessary. (according to the
> > spamassassin docs, such as they are)
> >
> > In any case, someone else reported the same problem over in stable:
> > > From: "Martin Matuska" <matuska@wu-wien.ac.at>
> > >
> > > make installworld does not install the libsm.a and libsmutil.a
> > > libraries from the sendmail 8.12.3 package (only libmilter is
> > > installed).
> > >
> > > They remain in /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libsm and
> > > /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libsmutil and are not installed to /usr/lib (but
> > > some libmilter programs need them to build)
>
> This has been fixed in FreeBSD 4.6.

I assume you are referring to 4.6-RELEASE (which isn't available yet)
because at least 2 people have encountered this problem with 4.6-RC.

> libmilter and its headers are installed; libsm is not
> required for building milters.

I'm not an expert on this, but all I know is that libsm.a is
specifically referenced in the Makefile for spamass-milter-0.1.1:

LIBS = /usr/lib/libmilter/libmilter.a /usr/lib/libmilter/libsm.a

> Quick rundown for what's needed to get spamass-milter running:
>
>  /usr/lib/libmilter.a or .so
>  /usr/include/libmilter/{mfapi,mfdef.h}.h
>  autoconf & automake from ports
>
> Go to savannah.gnu.org/projects/spamass-milt, check out the source from
> CVS, and get the associated "fix 250k deadlock + better configure (try
> #3)" patch (#349).  Apply the patch.  Then run ./autogen.sh, and make.
> Copy the compiled spamass-milter to /usr/local/libexec, or wherever you
> want.

So you're saying that they fixed some problem where it was asking for
libsm.a but it didn't really need it?

> Add
>
>   INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin',`S=local:/var/run/spamass.sock, F=, T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')dnl
>
> To your sendmail .mc file and regenerate the .cf.   Run
>
>   /usr/local/libexec/spamass-milter -p /var/run/spamass.sock -f
>
> , restart sendmail, and you're done.  Make sure you also start
> spamass-milter in rc.d someplace.  Once my patch gets integrated into
> CVS, it'd be a no-brainer to convert this into a port.

Thanks for the specific information, I'll try it a bit later.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium