Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 15:14:37 -0400
From:      Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
To:        Jan Koum  <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: any way to make ssh logins log to messages?

At 11:50 AM 4/23/98 -0700, you wrote:
>	Of course. Look at /etc/sshd_config and where it say
>SyslogFacility, change whatever second word is there to AUTH,
>	then, add the following line to /etc/syslog.conf:
>auth.*				/var/log/authlog
>	make sure to use tabs ("man 5 syslog.conf"). Then do "touch
>/var/log/authlog", chown it the way you like it, chmod to 640 and restart
>syslogd (or HUP it -- "man kill").
>	BTW, why does by default FreeBSD wouldn't have auth.* in it's
>syslog.conf? Is there a reason for it? Ugh.. this better be asked in
>-security list.

Yup, works like a charm.  Hmm, the reason I might have remembered this info
being logged before is I think in 2.1-stable it *was* logged by default, I
guess 2.2-stable dropped that for some reason.

>P.S. -- Don't use root for eMails. :)

Yeah, yeah, it's just too much of a pain to change it at this point :).
Although (and this really would belong on -security) I'd be interested in
hearing exactly why this would really cause any more problems than not
using root.  I don't actually read the mail on the system, so I can't think
of any reason it would open things up to problems more.

Gary Schrock
root@eyelab.msu.edu