Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:28:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Bart=B3omiej?= Rutkowski <brutkowski@lerkins.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Possible devd bug

Hi all,

I have been playing with OpenOspf lately, and I came to a place, when I nee=
ded to ensure that an ethernet interface should always go into DOWN state w=
hen it loses its link (physically, for example the switch becames turned of=
f). I have tried to hire the devd daemon to do the job with such small defi=
nitions:

notify 100 {
        match "system"          "IFNET";
        match "type"            "LINK_DOWN";
        media-type              "ethernet";
        action "/sbin/ifconfig $subsystem down";
};
=20
notify 200 {
        match "system"          "IFNET";
        match "type"            "LINK_UP";
        media-type              "ethernet";
        action "/sbin/ifconfig $subsystem up";
};

And what is happening? Well, basically, when the interface detects that eth=
 cable has been detached, devd triggers and makes it DOWN, which is ok. But=
, when the card got the cable attached once again (and interface detects th=
e media type and gets ACTIVE state) devd never triggers the second rule, wh=
ich should get the interface UP again.=20
I have tried that with replacing action statements with ones with proper lo=
gging actions, and when interface is UP devd gets the proper state changes =
information.=20

Now the question is: why devd doesent receive any information from interfac=
es in DOWN state? Is that proper behaviour, or a bug? Thanks for any reply,=
 and for your attention.

--=20
Bart=B3omiej Rutkowski <brutkowski@lerkins.com>