Date:      Wed, 8 Feb 2012 13:44:56 -0000
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Gleb Smirnoff" <glebius@FreeBSD.org>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: kern/161899: Repeating RTM_MISS packets causing high CPU load for ntpd

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gleb Smirnoff" <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
> > Any update on this, would have been nice to see a fix hit before
> > 9.0. If you need any more information please let me know.
>
> AFAIK, this is no longer a problem in 9.0-RELEASE or in HEAD.
>
> The cause for this number of misses is absense of a route for
> IPv4 mapped block in IPv6 routing table.
>
> Here it is:
>
> # netstat -rn -f inet6
> Routing tables
>
> Internet6:
> Destination                       Gateway                       Flags      Netif Expire
> ::/96                             ::1                           UGRS        lo0
>
> Some rc.d script installs this prefix in 9.0 and 10.0. If it hasn't
> been merged to stable/8, then it needs to be found and merged.

Thanks Gleb!

Running the following commands does indeed stop this
route add -inet6 ::ffff:0.0.0.0 -prefixlen 96 ::1 -reject
route add -inet6 ::0.0.0.0 -prefixlen 96 ::1 -reject

I found these in /etc/rc.d/network_ipv6 but I can't see why
these wouldnt be run on a machine that doesn't have an IPv6
address, they seem to be added correctly on machines that do.

So any pointers are to how to get this fix setup correctly in
8.2 would appreciated.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.