Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:59:35 -0400
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+t@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?T=c4=b3l_Coosemans?= <tijl@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org, clement@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to properly install a Linux desktop app?

On 19.06.20 04:52, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> You should not use USE_LINUX_RPM. It's meant for infrastructure ports.

Yes, this is the current stance, but it seems like an unnecessary
limitation... :( Software distributed by vendors in RPM-format should be
easier for ports to install.

Please, consider changing this.

> You can look at astro/google-earth as an example. It also installs an
> rpm with an /opt directory. Basically the /opt directory goes to
> ${STAGEDIR}${LINUXBASE} and everything else goes to ${STAGEDIR}${PREFIX}

Thanks, this is an informative example. Because of the limitation on the
USE_LINUX_RPM, google-earth port has its own do-install :-( And it
installs things into ${LINUXBASE}, which /should be/ just as wrong as
installing into ${LOCALBASE} instead of ${PREFIX}.

Clearly flz@ (or you?) have struggled with the same dilemma I'm now
facing :-)

And zoom will have to do the same for the time being...

> You should not need an ld conf file or ldconfig or LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I don't know, how one of the above -- ld.conf or LD_LIBRARY_PATH -- can
be avoided. Indeed, Google's own /opt/google/earth/free/googleearth sets
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH before invoking googleearth-bin. The port's own
little wrapper (${PREFIX}/bin/googleearth) is calling Google's (bigger)
wrapper, which is then finally calling the actual binary :(

I guess, I'll use the approach google-earth is taking for now, and file
a PR to change the setting of DESKTOPDIR to be derived from LOCALBASE --
or for the actual native PREFIX to remain somehow accessible (as
NATIVEPREFIX, perhaps?) even when USE_LINUX_PREFIX is defined.

Thank you for your help! Yours,

    -mi