Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 15:03:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        laufen@wi.net (Derek Laufenberg)
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: useful docs on amd?

In a previous message, Derek Laufenberg said:

> I rtfm'd the amd and amq man pages and need a few more clues.  The sample
> file /etc/amd.map also wasn't a useful "Rossetta Stone".  Can anyone
> point me to another source?  Or some sample map files?
>
> What I want to do is automount the various cdroms on my net, but I'd kinda
> like to know what else may be done with it.
>
> BTW: I also grep'd thru the FAQ and Handbook on disk 3 of 2.2.5R and
> found no info there.

I ended up buying the 4.4BSD SMM book from Computer Literacy. The amd
section is, apparently, encumbered, so it can't be on the net. The book
is out of print, so it might be hard to find. Published by O'Reilly.

Here's what I did for automounting:

/etc/rc.conf:
amd_enable="YES"                # Run amd service with $amd_flags (or NO).
amd_flags="-a /net -c 1800 -l syslog /host /etc/amd.map /home /etc/amd.homes"

/defaults       type:=host;fs:=${autodir}/${rhost};rhost:=${key}
*       opts:=rw,grpid,resvport,nfsv2

localhost       type:=auto;fs:=${map};pref:=${key}/

localhost/cdrom type:=program;fs:=/mnt/cdrom;\
        mount:="/sbin/mount mount /mnt/cdrom";\
        unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /mnt/cdrom"

localhost/floppy        type:=program;fs:=/mnt/floppy;\
        mount:="/sbin/mount mount /mnt/floppy";\
        unmount:="/sbin/umount umount /mnt/floppy"

/etc/fstab:
/dev/wcd0c              /mnt/cdrom      cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
/dev/fd0c               /mnt/floppy     msdos   rw,noauto       0       0

ls -l /floppy /cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  21 Apr  6 21:48 /cdrom -> /host/localhost/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  22 Apr  6 21:48 /floppy -> /host/localhost/floppy

/etc/amd.homes is left as an exercise to the reader... :-)

1800 is probably too long (30 minutes), but I kinda want home dirs
mounted longer.

Here's a quetion for the community: Is there a way to override, so the
cdrom can be umounted and ejected?

Paul.

--
"It depends on your definition of asleep.  They were not stretched out.
 They had their eyes closed.  They were seated at their desks with their