Date:      08 Aug 2001 09:43:50 -0700
From:      swear@aa.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rc.shutdown and SmartUPS

Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com> writes:

> Christopher Hall (hsw@acm.org) wrote:
>
> > After the UPS has been on battery power for a few minutes the program issues
> > a "shutdown -r now".
>
> For a while I considered forcing a reboot and then dealing with the
> shutdown during the boot-up. It seems kind of weird to be rebooting the
> computer while the UPS is screaming about its battery being critically
> low.

I've been suprised that I've not seen anyone consider this before (when
I investigated about ten USP programs while using Linux).  Most seemed
more concerened about having their system get running again unattended.

I was concerned about the system trying to boot up and shut down while
the mains power was going on and off while the battery was near dead.
A small risk, but as I'm not running a server, one I needn't take.

I chose to configure the boot manager to require user input so that the
computer can be powered up and down without ever writing to the disks.

I still haven't figured how to shutdown properly in FreeBSD as it seems
more of the shutdown process happens in "init" (as opposed to scripts)
than in Linux where I could change a script to shut down the UPS after
the disks are unmounted.   I was planning to write a script to shutdown
the Linux way.  I'll have to look into the software you're discussing.