Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:50:57 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange <!-- <br> --> sequences

Hi Nik,
On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 12:28:59PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> These are supposed to format information about books.  Sadly, it
> includes all the bibliographic information about the book inline, as it
> where.

exactly, that's why I figured that the <br> sequences were ignored.

> On the whole, I'd prefer it if the markup was the same across
> translations.

That's why I offered to do an adaption of my patch for the german version.
There are some instances where the markup and content of the german version
should be different from the english version but that should be the
exception, not the rule.

> Should anyone want to jump up and fix the markup in the
> English FAQ to use <bibliography> then please do so, otherwise I'll get
> to it in my copious free time.

Hmm, there's a small problem: According to the information on the website,
a <bibliography> element cannot be placed inside an <answer element>. And
a quick test confirms this information (jade [....] document type does not
allow element "BIBLIOGRAPHY" here).

In other words, the <bibliography> has to be placed at the of the
chapter/FAQ and the answer entity can only contain references to
the entries in the bibliography. Something like "The old 4.4BSD
Manuals (cryptic string1, cryptic string2, ...) can also be used."
That may be fine for a scientific article or a book in that context
but I don't think it's a great idea for the FAQ.

Form (SGML) should follow function (giving information about the
4.4BSD books), not the other way around.

The information about the formatting expectations for <BIBLIOGRAPHY>
(cause page break on formatted media etc.) don't look too good, either.

That's why I used tables in the first place.

Check http://www.ruhr.de/home/nathan/FreeBSD/de-faq/preface.html#BOOKS
and http://www.ruhr.de/home/nathan/FreeBSD/de-faq/book.sgml (line 715ff)
for my solution.

If you think that this solution is unaccetable, I'd like to know why.

/s/Udo
--
Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.