Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 09:21:04 -0400
From:      "Jerry Bell" <jerry@reillyplating.com>
To:        <spray40@epix.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: re FREE?

Such a complaint will be dropped.  FreeBSD has an open licensing policy
which where the freeware claim comes from.  The $40 distribution charge is
irrelavent, since it is freely available via download from dozens of
internet sites across the world.  I can copy FreeBSD onto a bunch of CD's,
charge $100 for each of them, and still call it freeware because you don't
HAVE to get it from me, and the software retains its original licensing.
Your persitence is commendable but misguided.  It is obvious you have no
comprehension of the laws that govern us, and it is regrettable that you
don't find something more productive to do than badger people who are
willing donate their valuable time and skills to a very worthwhile project.

I STILL want to know where it is written that you HAVE to pay $40, for
registration, or otherwise.  (I'm sure any attourney that would pursue the
case would also.)

In conclusion, I offer you some other sites to divert you attention to:
www.linux.org
www.caldera.com
www,debian.com
www.redhat.com
www.netbsd.org
www.openbsd.org
These are other bad sites that claim to have free software but charge for
distribution media.  (there are dozens more, we better get every last one
of them!)

Happy hunting,

Jerry