Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 21:41:49 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Ken Bolingbroke" <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Ken writes:

> The problem I see is that you really haven't
> tried enough to make such a determination.

I don't have to.  Statistically, there is no reason to suspect hardware unless
and until everything else has been eliminated.

If someone hits you in the rear end at an intersection, which makes more sense:
(1) tearing down the car in a garage to test the transmission in careful detail,
in order to make sure that the car wasn't stuck in Drive; or (2) testing the
driver for alcohol in his blood?

> ... unlike Windows, where one or more application
> crashes will take down the whole system.

Sounds like you've never run NT.  Applications can crash all day on my NT
system, and it never blinks.

> Contrast this to my Windows NT work desktop,
> where I had to pre-emptively reboot at least
> twice weekly so NT doesn't crap out on me in
> the middle of whatever work I'm doing ...

I've never seen this on an NT system.