Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:55:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   comment on new categories?

What do people think about the following new categories?

deskutils
x11-fms (file managers)
x11-wms (window managers)
x11-widgets

X clocks go to "deskutils".  These are real categories, so they
involve repository copying ports around.

Here's part of the mail that I sent out a while ago.

Satoshi (No, I'm not going to create a new category for minesweepers :)
-------
Actually, other than the "window managers" category that everybody
seems to agree about, there are a few more that could be separated
from "x11" or "misc".  How about

widget sets (Xaw3d, neXtaw, lesstif, xview-lib, tk[0-9]*, etc.)
desktop utilities (clocks, postit, etc.)

The latter is for electronic versions of things traditionally found on
top of a desk for office work (in other words, it doesn't include
bobbling head dolls or framed pictures).

For the names, I think the "window managers" and "widget sets" should
have a "x11-" prefix so people won't just go into "x11" and wonder why
they aren't there.  Maybe "x11-wm" ("x11-wms"?) and "x11-widgets"?

Satoshi