Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:22:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, sun-managers@ra.mcs.anl.gov
Subject:   Re: Compaq Opinions ...

In a previous message, The Hermit Hacker said:

> Over the years, most of what I hear about them in terms of Unix has
> appeared bad.  A pain to configure, etc...
>
> My preference has been, and still is, systems built up from ASUS
> motherboards and things *I* consider to be "tried and true" hardware (ie.
> Adaptec SCSI controllers)..
>
> Anyone have any opinions on Compaq, positive and negative, that they are
> willing to make?  Am I wrong?  Is Compaq *worth* the cost difference?

I've got 2 Compaq DeskPro 2000's running Stable. They've been FreeBSD
machines since 2.1.0. For the most part, they work pretty well. I've got
2940UW in both, one boots from it the other has IDE as well. One has 64 meg
the other 32 meg. Some of the problems:

1) No matter what, you have to build a specific kernel to handel meg over
16. Compaq's BIOS doesn't report memory right.

2) One of them can't reboot without a power off. I also have an IBM
Intellistation Z Pro that has the same problem.

I know there have been some others over the years, but they slip my
mind. Oh, cache didn't seem to work right. I couldn't make buildworld
before that was fixed up to not hammer cache so much.

Personally, I'd rather have something else. I like the Intellistation's.
And some Dell's we have (not running Unix) look good from a fit and
finish perspective.

--
                                          @@
                                          @@@@