Date:      20 Apr 2000 09:34:41 +0300
From:      Jussi Reissell <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
To:        "Loic Mahe'" <mahe@twam.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and sendmail

"Loic Mahe'" <mahe@twam.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use sendmail with my dialup connection. I looked at the
> FAQ (http://www.fr.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#ISPMAIL)
> and generated my sendmail.cf file.
> Sending mail works, but each time I launch sendmail (at boot time,
> manually (like sendmail -bt) or with mailq), the modem opens the
> connection to my ISP (even if the mail queue is empty). This problem
> seems to occur only on FreeBSD (I asked my question in a french
> mail-related newsgroup and Linux users told me that they have no such
> problem).
> I used tcpdump and found that 2 DNS queries are sent (and
> therefore lauch the modem since resolv.conf lists my ISP's DNS).
> Normally, sendmail uses a ServiceSwitch file to use /etc/hosts instead
> of bind, but is it used on FreeBSD ?

It is. Remove all traces of 'dns' from the hosts entry in the
service.switch file if you don't want DNS lookups. You also need to
have a FQDN for your host in /etc/hosts.

> It is not normal that the modem connects if there is no mail to send.

Sendmail wants to know the FQDN of the host it's running on. If
it can't find it elsewhere, it tries DNS. It does this on Linux too.