Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 02:08:01 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>, FreeBSD CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: trouble booting

> 	I'm curious about this. This isn't a dig, although my incredulity might
> make it seem so. Every piece of documentation I've seen says to do it
> the other way around. Make world first, then build kernel, then boot.

This is correct.  If you've just done major things to the build tools,
or even if you've merely changed config(8) in a way that will blow out
a new kernel (and this happens fairly often, actually) the make world
will fix this for you before you move on to building the kernel.

Also, building just the kernel and then rebooting from it (otherwise,
what would be the point of building it first?) can truly hang you if
your LKMs are out of date.  Building the kernel first is therefore NOT
recommended practice.

					Jordan