Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 13:28:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        selfg@primenet.com (George R. Self)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install Help

George recently opined:
> I'm an old, die-hard DOS user, but have recently found the need to
> learn UNIX. I choose FreeBSD after a search though several FAQS and
> such because it seemed to be what I needed.

Good choice.  ;^)

I suspect you're probably using a DOS (or Windows) based Email program.
Please setup your mailer to format your messages into 72- or 80-column
text so those of us with UNIX mailers can read them, OK?  (You'll join
us soon enough)

> I own a Mitsumi FX001D controlled by a Sound Blaster card rather than a
> separate controller. From what I read, it seems that FreeBSD cannot get
> through the Soundblaster to control the CD Drive.

Try booting from the floppy with the -c option.  Turn off all of the
devices you don't have, and enable the mcd driver.  Set the driver settings
to match your Soundblaster - you must set the card for 'no DRQ' if I
remeber correctly.

If that doesn't work, you probably can't use your FX001D.  Mine died
a few months ago, or I'd just send you my adapter card.  (I dropped
a computer on the interface card and broke it.  Sigh.)

> Of course, I suppose I could always buy a new CD Drive, but that would
> be an expensive proposition just to load a "free" OS.

Not *that* expensive; my local (wholesale) distributor sells 12X IDE
CD-ROMS for $83.  Shop around and stay out of chain stores like
Computer City.

As an alternative, the local Future Shop chain store has some 4x IDE
CD-ROMS they bought to clear out at $69; try them if you have a Future
Shop nearby.  (I didn't see your domain, so I don't have any idea where
you are.)