Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:36:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave <mudman@R181172.resnet.ucsb.edu>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   lowering uids, startup

I am interested in learning how to start up a program (a 3rd party server
program, a daemon, whatever) automatically from boot up without using
inetd and without using a root uid.

I do know that /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ (mostly from my ports downloads) will
automatically run packages such as ssh and apache, and really anything you
put in there.  Unfortunately, these things initially run as root, so I'm
skeptical about using it.

Are there any good, safe, secure ways to automatically start up third
party services in really low privileged environments?