Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:42:40 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>, <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Keeping pppd(8) Stuff in /etc/ppp

Hello Crist,

On 09:39-0800, Dec 18, 2001, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 10:37:21AM +0300, Maxim Konovalov wrote:
> > On 15:55-0800, Dec 17, 2001, Crist J . Clark wrote:
> >
> > > There are two pppd(8) configuration files in /etc/ppp, ppp.deny and
> > > ppp.shells.sample. There are no other pppd(8) sample files (anywhere)
> > > that I can find. Is there any point of leaving these two lying around
> > > in /etc/ppp? I would expect that currently their primary function is
> > > to confuse ppp(8) users.
> > >
> > > On a side note, does anyone use pppd(8) anymore? Bitrot? Does it even
> >
> > At least I do.
> >
> > > work correctly anymore?
> >
> > It works for me.
>
> As a pppd(8) user, what is your opinion on losing the pppd(8) files in
> /etc/ppp? Are they of any real use? IMHO, we should either (a) just
> remove ppp.deny and ppp.shells.sample /etc/ppp or (b) remove those two
> from /etc/ppp and put them in /usr/share/examples/pppd with a full set
> of pppd(8) examples. Since I don't have files or the expertise to come

(b) is OK for me.

> up with examples for (b), I'd need the help of someone who knows
> pppd(8) to do it.

Please take a look at http://news1.macomnet.ru/~maxim/p/pppd/
It is about a full set of sample files for pppd(8).

pppd.8.diff is a patch for pppd(8) manpage and it does not belong to
/usr/share/examples/pppd/

If you need any futher assistance with pppd please ask. Thanks!

- -maxim

--
Maxim Konovalov, MAcomnet, Internet-Intranet Dept., system engineer
phone: +7 (095) 796-9079, mailto: maxim@macomnet.ru