Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:01:32 +1100
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        "Donny Lee" <donny@ms1.all.com.tw>
Cc:        "FreeBSD questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: What does it mean MFS ?

>   BTW, I've heard that, bsd's swap partition must be at least
>   as big as the memory installed on a machine, or even larger,

Not any more. For original BSD versions less than 4.4 this
was true, however this does not apply to FreeBSD anymore.

>   I'm wondering if it's correct? as I have 256mb ram installed,
>   then I have to make a >256mb hard disk space for swap?

If you want to allow a system crash to dump the memory
contents for debugging purposes, then you need your swap
as big as memory or larger. However with dumping turned
off (which it is by default) you can make it smaller. You
can also not create a swap area to have no swap. Then if
things get tight use the "vn" device (man vn ; man vnconfig)
to create a file to swap to. However performance will suffer.

Cheers.
 ,--_|\  | John Saunders    mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au   |
/  Oz  \ | SCITEC LIMITED   Phone +61294289563  Fax +61294289933 |
\_,--\_/ | "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends." |