Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 00:00:22 -0500
From:      Jason Vervlied <jvervlied@boca.verio.net>
To:        consol <consol@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trouble with Eterm

On Thursday 13 December 2001 01:39 pm, consol wrote:
> hey all...
>
> I have just recently started using FreeBSD and think it's very
> *refreshing* coming from a mostly Windows based environment.....
>
> Anyway whenever I start E-Term it displays something like:
>
> tcsh: Cannot open /etc/termcap.
> tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.
>

> Anybody seen this be4?
>
> Greetz

Yes, I have dealt with this before. This is caused by the new version of
Eterm setting the TERM enviornment variable to Eterm rather than xterm or
xterm-color as previous versions did.

You can either for Eterm to user xterm as the TERM environment vairable by
launching Eterm with the flag --term-name=xterm(or whatever else you would
like to set TERM to).

Or you can add Eterm as a valid TERM in your termcap database with the
followin set of commands, assuming you installed Eterm from the ports. Other
wise find the location of Eterm.tcap.

cd /usr/share/misc/ ; cat /usr/X11R6/share/doc/Eterm/Eterm.tcap >> termcap ;
cap_mkdb ./termcap

-
-Jason