Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 12:45:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>, qa@FreeBSD.org, marcel@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cputype=486

On 12-Mar-01 Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>>
>> It looks like strip is linked against /usr/lib/libc.a.
>>
>> Marcel,
>>
>> It looks like there may be a bug in buildworld.  It seems that static
>> binaries
>> are being linked against /usr/lib/libc.a rather than
>> /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/lib/libc/libc.a.
>
> In what stage?

The final strip binary that will live in /usr/bin/strip on the target machine.

>> across architectures could work if this is so.  In the case described, the
>> host
>> machine was built with -march=pentiumpro, and world was built w/o this flag
>> because it was intended to be installed on a 486.
>
> This doesn't work. The object tree will contain binaries compiled for
> Pentium Pro processors and thus may contain instructions not present on
> i486. The binaries I'm talking about are those that are *explicitly*
> compiled to be run on the build machine. This includes the bootstrap,
> build and cross tools. These tools are also used during install and thus
> must be compatible with the machine you're installing on.
>
> In short: Do not not build on Pentium with -march=pentiumsomething and
> then later install on non-pentiums!

Uh, how can cross-builds _possibly_ work then????  If I do a i386 -> alpha
cross build does the alpha /usr/bin/strip get linked against the i386
/usr/lib/libc.a on the host machine??  Or is libc treated magically by the
compiler?  For that matter, what if a static binary uses a new function added
to libc, how in the world will that link if we all our binaries against the
old libc during the world?  That's just wrong.