Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:24:39 +1000
From:      "Hallam Oaks P/L list account" <mlnn4@oaks.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   'struct isa_device' advice sought

Hello;

I'm implementing a PCI device interface for an ISDN card. The interface has
the normal pci/ dir support code (this is already done so is not an issue).

The main driver, however, is the i4b ISDN code, and this is where I'm running
into trouble (despite appearances, this is not an ISDN-specific posting).

The particular i4b code that I need to deal with assumes that the card it's
working with is ISA, and as such makes liberal use of isa_device structs as
parameters to functions, etc.

To make this work with the PCI card, I'd have to either extensively modify
this code (possible but not desirable), or init an isa_device structure and
pretend that the PCI card is an ISA device (at least insofar as the i4b code
is concerned). The changes necessary to the i4b code to make this work would
not be so major - it would be aware of the PCI-ness of the card where it
mattered, but otherwise not.

My question is this : is the concept of a PCI card masquerading (in a limited
sense) as an ISA one a legitimate approach ? Is it likely to cause problems ?
I know it's a kludge but the alternative is also not particularly desirable.

Any advice appreciated.

-- Chris
   Hallam Oaks P/L