Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 1995 19:38:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        me@freefall.freebsd.org, ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xemacs

On Sun, 1 Oct 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> A couple of months ago I whined about not being able to use the web
> browser in xemacs - the pictures weren't being inlined properly.
>
> Michael aquainted me with the fact that pbmplus needs to be installed
> before this works, and I wondered at the time why we didn't just place
> pbmplus in the EXEC_DEPENDS or something.  Then I got side-tracked
> and forgot all about it until now, when I notice that the state of
> affairs remains unchanged WRT xemacs.  Thoughts?

The uses of exec depends was discussed a little while ago, because your
example of xemacs/pbmplus represents just one of many applications that
have their usefulness multiplied, by having a particular crew of, let me
call it 'co-applications', resident with it.  The choice at the time was
that this would make exec-depends too picky.  Like having the xemacs port
fail because the pbmplus source wasn't resident.  My own opinion is this
should go in the descriptions, too many of which are 'way to lean on info.

> 				Jordan

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |