Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:06:45 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: SMP + XDM = keyboard lockup

>    That's what I thought too... and it's correct for getty's.  But xdm
>    ignores the argument init passes to it.
>
>    So here is what happens:
>
>	init opens the vty and runs xdm.
>
>	xdm runs X which ignores the vty and locates a new one by scanning
>	the vty's sequentially looking for one that is unused.

That's correct.

>    It would be nice if we could specify the vty that X is to allocate
>    as an option to X.  I couldn't find anything in the man pages right
>    offhand to accomplish this, though.

There is.  You can tell the XFree86 server to run in a specific vty by
starting it as

	/usr/X11R6/bin/X vt4

(Note that "vt4" means /dev/ttyv3. The number is off by one.)

This is XFree86 extention.  See XFree86(1).

When we run xdm, this option must be entered in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers.

	:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt4

The trouble is that you must update both /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
and /etc/ttys, if you want to change the vty for the X session later.

Kazu