Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:06:54 -0500
From:      John S.Hong <jhong@datapipe.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP kernel on Compaq DL380 G3.

Has anyone gotten the FreeBSD SMP kernel to boot on a Compaq DL380 G3?  There was a known problem in the G2s where you had to set the OS option to "Linux" in the Compaq BIOS for the SMP kernel to boot correctly.  However, this does not appear to work on the G3s.

There are two BIOS options which I have adjusted, one is for "OS" and the other is for "Advanced/MPS Table".  I have tried every combination between the "Linux" and "Other" OS option along with "Full Table APIC", "Full APIC Memory Mapped", "Disabled", and "Auto Set Table" MPS Table options.  I have also tried disabling hyper-threading support for the Xeon processors but still no avail.

For now, the system is happily running on the non-SMP kernel.  When booting the SMP kernel, the system hangs on "APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery".

This is on FreeBSD4.7-RELEASE.

Thanks,
J. Hong